For Immediate Release – Aug 6, 2018
The Erin Agricultural Society is pleased to announce the inaugural Erin Fair Heritage Horse Hall of Fame, presented by the Erin Fair Equine Tent Committee. The Erin Fair Horse Hall of Fame will recognize, and celebrate people and horses in Erin who have made an outstanding contribution to our community. Each year, beginning this year, one horse, individual or group will be honoured at a special ceremony in the Equine Tent at the Erin Fair.
Horse Heritage Hall of Fame submissions and nominations are now being accepted. Please see criteria listed below. We want to hear from you and we appreciate all nominations and stories. The goal of this project celebrate the people and horses who have built and maintained our Erin horse community and to share our equine heritage. Note: Nominations need not meet all of the listed criteria.
The Erin Fair is a charitable organization owned and operated by the Erin Agricultural Society. The Erin Fair focuses agricultural education and awareness and provides shows and entertainment for all ages. Established in 1850, the Erin Fair takes place on Thanksgiving Weekend and welcomes 25-30,000 visitors. This year’s Fair will be held on October 5-8, 2018. The Equine Tent at the Erin Fair was established in 2010 and has become an integral and important event and at the Fair. The Equine Tent provides a hands-on horse experience to 12-13,000 visitors annually, and focuses on equine education. The Equine Tent provides three full days of demonstrations, talks and clinics, and showcases live horses, people and equine related activity. There are free activities for kids and interactive exhibits and displays. Our partners include Equine Guelph/University of Guelph as well as stable owners and businesses from our local horse community. The Equine Tent title sponsor is Budson’s—provisions for country living.
Erin Horse Heritage Hall of Fame, nomination criteria and submission information:
- Submission deadline: September 5, 2018
- One nomination per submission please.
- Nominees are to be people, horses or related equine groups/businesses who have lived, or are currently living in, or working within the Town of Erin.
- Nominations need to meet one or more of the following:
- Important contribution to Erin’s horse community
- Significant life time achievement
- Significant achievement within breed group, discipline or sport (please list the discipline, breed and/or association)
- Leadership and Vision
- Equine sector community development: Events, Shows, Breeds, Tourism
- Mentorship: Contribution to the Erin community as a volunteer, leader, teacher, employer or stable manager related to horse sector
- Youth development (breed associations, coaches, clubs, camps, service groups)
- The selected nominee/winning submission will be notified prior to the Erin Fair and invited to attend a special recognition ceremony in the Equine Tent at the Fair on Saturday October 6, at 11:am. The winner (and a guest) as well as the person submitting the nomination will be awarded a weekend pass to the 2018 Erin Fair.
Please send in your Favourite Erin Horse story!
- Do you have a special memory or story that you’d like to share?
- Did your Grandpa tell you about driving his horse-team to Steen’s Dairy in Erin for an ice-cream?
- Do you know of someone who is a good old-fashioned cowboy or cowgirl?
- Did your horse live a long and wonderful life?
In addition to the Hall of Fame, the Equine Tent Committee also wants to hear about your special memory. We hope to capture local horse stories and photos to contribute to our Erin Agricultural Society Equine Archives and to share with future generations.
Stories and photos will be posted in the Equine Tent during Fair Weekend. Photos appreciated, please send copies—or identify if you require your photo returned.
Submission deadline: September 5, 2018
Please send your submissions by email or Canada Post to the following: